We recommend waiting to paint the X-Max Fender Flares until after they have all been fitted to the body, because the most accurate fit may require some sanding of the flares …so ignore the fact that the flares in these pictures are black.
We also recommend washing your vehicle thoroughly (including the wheel wells) before starting this installation.
Front Fender Flares
On the driver’s side, you may have noticed the bolt placement and bolt length on the X-Max Fender Flare is a little different. This is because the washer fluid box is just inside the engine compartment.
We recommend you remove the washer fluid box before you start drilling through the body, although it’s not necessary. If you leave the box there, just be careful not to drill too far, and put a hole in the box. Otherwise you’ll be yelling at your buddy to get a towel.
4. Drill 3/8” holes at each of the marks you made for the bolts. We recommend using a step-up drill bit. If you don’t have one, drill small pilot holes first.
5. Place the X-Max Fender Flare on the body again, inserting the bolts into the holes to check the fit.
If a bolt or two don’t match up perfectly and the flare won’t go on, don’t worry. Just drill that hole a little wider, until all the bolts fit at once.
6. Where the fender flare lays over any plastic trim on the body, use a pencil or marker to mark where the edge of the flare will go.
The flares should now fit completely on, and the flare will stay in place by itself. But maybe don’t let your buddy go home just yet. If nothing else, he can always grab you another piece of pizza.
Repeat on all flares
12. Keep those safety glasses on. Now cut a slit about every 1” to 2” along the edge, to create tabs that will later be bent up. These slits should extend up past your original upper line, by about ¼”. The slits may need to be closer together at the corners, so that they’re easier to bend up.
13. Use your pliers to bend each metal tab you just created, up and out at a 90°. The bend should be at the top of the slits, above the original upper line. This way, the tabs will sit just inside the fender flare. Is your buddy getting jealous of your flares yet?
15. Set the front X-Max fender flares in place, and fit them as close to the body as they’ll go. Make sure the tabs fit just inside the flare.